Health Science: CNA
Instructor: Mrs. Sara Wood ([email protected])
Pre-Nursing/Certified Nursing Aid- First Year (3 credits per semester, 2 semester course)
- Principles of Healthcare- Principles of Healthcare content includes skills common to specific health career topics such as patient nursing care, dental care, animal care, medical laboratory, public health, and an introduction to healthcare systems. Lab experiences are organized and planned around the activities associated with the student’s career objectives.
- Medical Terminology- Medical Terminology prepares students with language skills necessary for effective, independent use of health and medical reference materials. It includes the study of health and medical abbreviations, symbols, and Greek and Latin word part meanings, all taught within the context of body systems. This course builds skills in pronouncing, spelling, and defining new words encountered in verbal and written information in the healthcare industry. Students have the opportunity to acquire essential skills for accurate and logical communication, and interpretation of medical records. Emphasis is on forming a foundation of a medical vocabulary including; appropriate and accurate meaning, spelling, and pronunciation of medical terms, and abbreviations, signs, and symbols.
- Healthcare Specialist: CNA- The Healthcare Specialist: CNA prepares individuals desiring to work as nursing assistants with the knowledge, skills and attitudes essential for providing basic care in extended care facilities, hospitals and home health agencies under the direction of licensed nurses. The course will introduce students to the disease process and aspects of caring for a long-term care resident with dementia. Individuals who successfully complete this course are eligible to apply to sit for the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) certification exam for nursing assistants. This course meets the minimum standards set forth by the ISDH for Certified Nursing Assistant training and for health care workers in long-term care facilities.
Certified Nursing Aide (CNA)
Ivy Tech Dual Credit:
HLHS 100- Intro to Heathcare, HLHS 104- CPR- Basic Life Support; HLHS 101- Medical Terminology, HLHS 102- Essential Anatomy and Physiology; HLHS 107- CNA Preperation, HLHS 113- Dementia Care
Pre-Nursing/Certified Nursing Aid- Second Year (3 credits per semester, 2 semester course)
- Healthcare Specialist Capstone- The capstone course will provide Healthcare students acquire additional knowledge and skills necessary to work in a variety of health care settings beyond a long term care facility, including hospitals, doctor’s offices and clinics. Students can accomplish this goal by completing coursework that will cover topics such as Medical Law and Ethics, Electronic Health Records, and/or Behavioral Health. Schools may offer additional healthcare certifications such as the Certified Clinical Medical Assistant or Phlebotomy along with the coursework or in place of the coursework.
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
Ivy Tech Dual Credit:
HLHS 105- Medical Law and Ethics, HLHS 122- Electronic Health Records, HLHS 125-
- CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant
- RN - Registered Nurse
- Dental Assistant
- X-Ray Technician
- EMT - Emergency Medical Technician
- LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse
- Medical Assistant
Click below for an interactive Health Sciences experience: